Tiger Woods Uncertain of Emotional Reactions at Masters with LIV Golf Players
Tiger Woods made his much-anticipated return to the PGA Tour this week at the Genesis Invitational, and the golf legend is already looking ahead to his next major tournament: the Masters at Augusta National. While Woods is confident in his physical ability to make it through the Masters, he is less sure about his emotional reaction to seeing the LIV Golf rebels who will also be in attendance.
“That’s a great question because I don’t know, because I haven’t been around them,” Woods said. “Some of the players out here have. For instance, Rory’s in Dubai with some of those players. I don’t know, I don’t know what that reaction’s going to be.”
Woods finished T45 at the Genesis Invitational, and while it wasn't the outcome he was hoping for, the 15-time major champion was pleased with his performance.
He informed CBS that his body, leg, and back were not permitting him to play much further. “So that was my goal last year and I was able to play three of the four, and this year, I can hopefully play all four. That is going to be my schedule going forward because of all of the limitations I have.”
Woods has only been able to play in three events since his 2021 crash, all of them majors. He is confident in his physical ability to make it through the Masters, but is uncertain about the emotional reaction he will have to seeing the LIV Golf players at the dinner.
“So making sure that Scottie [Scheffler, the 2022 champion] gets honored correctly but also realizing the nature of what has transpired and the people that have left, just where our situations are either legally, emotionally, there’s a lot there,” Woods said.
Woods is also looking to other PGA Tour players for guidance, like Rory McIlroy, who has been dealing with the same struggles since the LIV Golf League emerged.
Woods stated, “There have been highs and lows, it is true. And it has been tough, that's for sure.” Rory, our ambassador, has experienced this.
0. “Tiger Woods: Bookies reveal odds on Masters win – bunkered.co.uk” bunkered, 15 Feb. 2023, https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/tiger-woods-bookies-reveal-odds-on-masters-win
1. “Tiger Woods on how he'll act around LIV rebels at ‘uncomfortable' Masters champions dinner” Express, 15 Feb. 2023, https://www.express.co.uk/sport/golf/1735207/Tiger-Woods-LIV-rebels-uncomfortable-Masters-champions-dinner
2. “Amid LIV tensions, Tiger Woods isn't sure how Masters Champions Dinner will play out, but they ‘need to honor Scottie'” GolfDigest.com, 14 Feb. 2023, https://www.golfdigest.com/story/tiger-woods-masters-champions-dinner-liv-golf-phil-mickelson-fred-couples-rory-mcilroy
3. “Tiger Woods produces best performance since car crash as Jon Rahm wins Genesis Invitational” WISH TV Indianapolis, IN, 20 Feb. 2023, https://www.wishtv.com/sports/tiger-woods-produces-best-performance-since-car-crash-as-jon-rahm-wins-genesis-invitational-to-regain-world-no-1-spot/
4. “Tiger Woods Jumps Over 300 Places In World Rankings” Golf Monthly, 20 Feb. 2023, https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/tiger-woods-jumps-over-300-places-in-world-rankings
5. “Tiger Woods' telling admission amid furore surrounding Cameron Smith” Yahoo Sport Australia, 15 Feb. 2023, https://au.sports.yahoo.com/tiger-woods-telling-admission-amid-furore-surrounding-cameron-smith-232111652.html
6. “‘Rusty' Tiger Woods teases LIV Golf Masters showdown on eve of latest comeback” Golfmagic.com, 14 Feb. 2023, https://www.golfmagic.com/pga-tour/rusty-tiger-woods-teases-liv-golf-masters-showdown-eve-latest-comeback
7. “Tiger Woods, Scottie Scheffler trying to ignore LIV Golf drama ahead of Masters reunion: ‘It's been difficult'” Yahoo Sports, 14 Feb. 2023, https://sports.yahoo.com/tiger-woods-scottie-scheffler-trying-to-ignore-liv-golf-drama-ahead-of-masters-reunion-its-been-difficult-222956218.html
8. “Tiger Woods' admission ahead of awkward reunion with LIV Golf rebels” Wide World of Sports, 15 Feb. 2023, https://wwos.nine.com.au/golf/news-2023-tiger-woods-vs-liv-rebels-masters-dinner-genesis-invitational/a576cd50-a33e-43b8-b6af-da3ed06b1183