Previewing the 2023 Valspar Championship at Innisbrook Resort’s Copperhead Course
The PGA Tour will wrap up its Florida Swing this week with the 2023 Valspar Championship at Innisbrook Resort’s Copperhead Course. The field is led by World No. 9 Justin Thomas, and also includes Matt Fitzpatrick, Jordan Spieth, Keegan Bradley, Justin Rose, and two-time defending champion Sam Burns. The prize purse for the Valspar Championship is $8.1 million, with the winner taking home $1.458 million.
The Valspar Championship has been held at the Copperhead Course at Innisbrook Resort since 2000. The course measures 7,340 yards and is a par 71, with four par 5s and five par 3s. The Bermuda grass greens provide a challenge and the wind can be a factor.
Sam Burns is looking to become the first player to win the event three years in a row since Steve Stricker won the John Deere Classic in 2009, 2010 and 2011. Justin Thomas is the favorite to win outright at +900 odds, followed by Jordan Spieth at +1200. Other players to watch include Justin Rose and Tommy Fleetwood at +2500, and Brian Harman and Matt Fitzpatrick at +3300.
McClure's model correctly predicted Jon Rahm to finish on top of the leaderboard at the 2023 Sentry Tournament of Champions, The American Express and Genesis Invitational. The model also included J.T. Poston in its best bets to win the 2022 John Deere Classic at +5500, and predicted Collin Morikawa to win outright at the 2021 Open Championship at +4000.
The last time the event was held, Sam Burns defeated Davis Riley on the second playoff hole. Burns closed with a 2-under 69, and Riley shot a 1-over 72 but recovered nicely from a triple bogey on the par-5 fifth to finish at 17 under alongside Burns. The duo both made pars on the first playoff hole before Burns rolled in a 32-foot birdie try on the second playoff hole.
With a lot of star power, the 2023 Valspar Championship is sure to provide some exciting golf. The tournament will be held from Thursday to Sunday, and will be broadcast live on the Golf Channel and NBC.
0. “Daily Fantasy PGA Picks and Betting Guide for DraftKings & FanDuel – Valspar Championship” DFSR, 13 Mar. 2023, https://www.dailyfantasysportsrankings.com/2023/03/13/daily-fantasy-pga-picks-and-betting-guide-for-draftkings-fanduel-valspar-championship-4/
1. “Valspar Championship 2023 Odds, Predictions & Expert Golf Picks” The Sports Daily, 13 Mar. 2023, https://thesportsdaily.com/news/valspar-championship-2023-odds-predictions-best-bets-and-expert-golf-picks/
2. “2023 Valspar Championship Odds, Picks: Bet Jordan Spieth & Akshay Bhatia at Copperhead” The Action Network, 13 Mar. 2023, https://www.actionnetwork.com/golf/2023-valspar-championship-odds-picks-bet-jordan-spieth-akshay-bhatia-at-copperhead
3. “PGA DFS Preview: Valspar Championship” FantasyAlarm, 13 Mar. 2023, https://www.fantasyalarm.com/articles/pga/dfs/pga-dfs-preview-valspar-championship/143861
4. “2023 Valspar Championship Odds and Betting Preview” Yahoo Sports, 13 Mar. 2023, https://sports.yahoo.com/2023-valspar-championship-odds-betting-201104924.html
5. “2023 Valspar Championship odds, picks, field: Surprising PGA predictions from model that nailed 8 majors” msnNOW, 13 Mar. 2023, https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/2023-valspar-championship-odds-picks-field-surprising-pga-predictions-from-model-that-nailed-8-majors/ar-AA18A4p0?li=BB15ms5q
6. “2023 Valspar Championship odds, picks: Proven golf model reveals projected leaderboard, surprising predictions” SportsLine, 13 Mar. 2023, https://www.sportsline.com/insiders/2023-valspar-championship-odds-picks-proven-golf-model-reveals-projected-leaderboard-surprising-predictions
7. “The First Look: Valspar Championship” PGA TOUR, 12 Mar. 2023, https://www.pgatour.com/article/news/the-first-look/2023/03/12/the-first-look-the-valspar-championship