Bally’s Corporation Proposes Bronx Casino with 15,000 Construction Jobs and 3,500 Permanent Jobs
Bally’s Corporation is looking to build a casino in the Bronx, on public parkland at Ferry Point that is currently home to the Trump Organization’s golf course. According to the New York Daily News, a December deal between Bally’s and the Trump Organization would transfer 17 acres of city-owned land from the Trump Golf Links at Ferry Point into the hands of the casino chain.
The casino would cover 10 of the 17 acres, with the rest potentially devoted to greenery and workforce housing. Bally's has initiated a recurrent series of dialogues with local elected representatives, community organizations, and influential civic figures, inquiring for their feedback on the possible venture. A spokesperson for the company said its vision calls for “transforming a former waste disposal site and a high-end golf course into a world-class entertainment destination.”
Former Mayor Bill de Blasio in January 2021 attempted to scrap the Trump Organization’s contract for the golf course, citing former President Donald Trump’s alleged role in inciting the Jan. 6 Capitol attack. But a Manhattan Supreme Court judge ruled that de Blasio was wrong to scuttle that agreement.
Bally’s plan has the blessing from Bronx Councilwoman Marjorie Velazquez, who said she was bullish on having a casino there. “It’s really great for The Bronx,” Velazquez said, foreseeing good-paying union jobs with a spillover effect to boost mom-and-pop businesses.
The project could create over 15,000 construction jobs and 3,500 permanent, high-paying union ones with salaries starting at $70,000, plus benefits and retirement. Velazquez also said: “It’s an opportunity to reimagine what is possible at the site. I’m very proud to have The Bronx part of the conversation.”
Long-term, Bally’s would like to take over the entire 300-acre property from the Trump Org. Notably, Bally’s has some New York roots, since its Chairman, Soo Kim, grew up in Queens and the firm is owner of one of the sports betting licenses in New York.
0. “A casino proposed for the Bronx – POLITICO” POLITICO, 13 Feb. 2023, https://www.politico.com/newsletters/new-york-playbook-pm/2023/02/13/a-casino-proposed-for-the-bronx-00082622
1. “Bally's Tees Up Bid for Bronx Casino on Trump Golf Course Land” Connect CRE, 13 Feb. 2023, https://www.connectcre.com/stories/ballys-tees-up-bid-for-bronx-casino-on-trump-golf-course-land
2. “Bally's proposes plan for building casino in the Bronx by Trump golf course” New York Daily News, 13 Feb. 2023, https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-ballys-proposes-casino-bronx-trump-golf-links-20230213-52bbhbdvqnbt5a5i4ofebvr53m-story.html
3. “Bally's proposes casino on Trump's Ferry Point golf course in the Bronx” Crain's New York Business, 13 Feb. 2023, https://www.crainsnewyork.com/politics/ballys-proposes-casino-trumps-ferry-point-golf-course-bronx
4. “Bally's in talks to open potential casino at Trump golf course in the Bronx” 1010 WINS, 13 Feb. 2023, https://www.audacy.com/1010wins/news/local/ballys-looks-to-open-casino-at-trump-golf-course-in-nyc
5. “Bally's Talking With Trump Org About Bronx Casino At Ferry Point” Casino.Org News, 13 Feb. 2023, https://www.casino.org/news/ballys-talking-with-trump-org-about-bronx-casino-at-ferry-point/
6. “NYC casino race: Bally's eyeing casino project at Trump Org's public golf course in The Bronx” Yogonet International, 13 Feb. 2023, https://www.yogonet.com/international//news/2023/02/13/66085-nyc-casino-race-bally-39s-eyeing-casino-project-at-trump-org-39s-public-golf-course-in-the-bronx
7. “Bally's Bids for New New York Casino in Bronx” World Casino Directory, 13 Feb. 2023, https://news.worldcasinodirectory.com/ballys-bidding-for-the-new-casino-in-bronx-on-the-trump-organization-land-107564