2023 Farmers Insurance Open: Rahm Seeks Third Straight Win at Torrey Pines
The 2023 PGA Tour season continues this week with the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines Golf Course in La Jolla, California. The tournament, which starts on Wednesday, January 25th and ends on Saturday, January 28th, features a purse of $8.7 million and a star-studded field led by Jon Rahm, the current world No. 3. Rahm is looking to win his third straight start and potentially take over the No. 1 spot for the first time since March 20. He is joined by Xander Schauffele, Justin Thomas, Collin Morikawa, and Will Zalatoris in the Farmers Insurance Open 2023 field.
Rahm has enjoyed a special relationship with Torrey Pines since before he ever achieved success on the PGA Tour. He won his first TOUR title here in 2017, and then captured his first major championship at the 2021 U.S. Open. If Rahm were to win again here, it would be a fitting addition to his memory bank.
The South Course at Torrey Pines is expected to play tough on Thursday with winds reaching 30 mph and gusts potentially up to 40 mph. Rahm began the third round at 4 under and tied for 14th place, and moved into sole possession of second place after an eagle on the par-5 ninth hole that capped his second stretch of playing four holes in 5 under in two days. He ultimately signed for a 1-over 73 and sits nine strokes off the lead.
In addition to Rahm, other contenders include Brendan Steele, who began Friday at -9, and Max Homa, who is at -6. Taylor Montgomery, Collin Morikawa, and Sahith Theegala are also among the top contenders.
Gareth Bale, a retired Welsh soccer player, was part of the winning Pro-Am team alongside Ben Baller. Tano Goya and Sam Ryder are also in the field, with Ryder saying “We knew today was going to be like a put your helmet on and kind of get ready for a battle.”
Justin Thomas, Jason Day, Patrick Reed, Marc Leishman, and Justin Rose are all former Farmers Insurance Open winners. Tony Finau is another strong contender with four consecutive top-13 finishes at the track prior to last year’s missed cut.
0. “How to watch PGA Tour's Farmers Insurance Open on ESPN+” ESPN, 23 Jan. 2023, https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/35510815/how-watch-pga-farmers-insurance-open-espnplus
1. “Scenarios for Jon Rahm to reach world No. 1 at Torrey Pines” PGA TOUR, 27 Jan. 2023, https://www.pgatour.com/news/2023/01/27/jon-rahm-scenarios-world-number-1-torrey-pines-farmers-insurance-open-rory-mcilroy.html
2. “Rahm 2 Back of Lead at Torrey Pines, Seeking 3rd Win in a Row” NBC San Diego, 28 Jan. 2023, https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/rahm-2-back-of-lead-at-torrey-pines-seeking-3rd-win-in-a-row/3153910/
3. “2023 Farmers Insurance Open odds, picks: Predictions and best bets for this week's PGA Tour event from golf insider – SportsLine.com” SportsLine, 25 Jan. 2023, https://www.sportsline.com/insiders/2023-farmers-insurance-open-odds-picks-predictions-and-best-bets-for-this-weeks-pga-tour-event-from-golf-insider/
4. “DraftKings DFS Fantasy Golf Cheat Sheet: 2023 PGA TOUR Farmers Insurance Open Picks” DraftKings Nation, 23 Jan. 2023, https://dknation.draftkings.com/fantasy-advice/2023/1/23/23566985/draftkings-dfs-fantasy-golf-cheat-sheet-23-pga-tour-farmers-insurance-open-picks-max-home-justin-suh
5. “Sam Ryder relishes final-round duel with Jon Rahm at Torrey Pines” PGA TOUR, 28 Jan. 2023, https://www.pgatour.com/news/2023/01/27/sam-ryder-relishes-final-round-duel-with-jon-rahm-at-torrey-pines.html
6. “2023 Farmers Insurance Open leaderboard, scores: Justin Thomas takes care of South Course as Jon Rahm stalls” CBS Sports, 26 Jan. 2023, https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/2023-farmers-insurance-open-leaderboard-scores-justin-thomas-takes-care-of-south-course-as-jon-rahm-stalls/
7. “TOUR REPORT: Jason Day's new Scotty Cameron, celebrity Ben Baller's WITB, and Xander's new 3-wood” GolfWRX, 27 Jan. 2023, https://www.golfwrx.com/704197/tour-report-jason-days-new-scotty-cameron-celebrity-ben-ballers-witb-and-xanders-new-3-wood/
8. “Wind Ryder: Golfer braves gusts and takes the second-round lead at Farmers Insurance Open” La Jolla Light, 27 Jan. 2023, https://www.lajollalight.com/news/story/2023-01-26/wind-ryder-golfer-braves-gusts-and-takes-the-second-round-lead-at-farmers-insurance-open